School Meals & Lunchtimes
All pupils in Reception, year 1 and year 2 are eligible for a free school meal at lunchtime. This offer does not depend on your household income or whether you receive any benefits.
Research has found that pupils who eat a high quality school lunch achieve better academically than those who do not. They are also more likely to eat healthier foods such as vegetables at lunchtime instead of less healthy foods such as crisps.
Free School Meals for Children in Year 3 to 6
Who Can Claim?
You can claim free school meals for a child who lives with you and who you are responsible for (for example, you receive Child Benefit for them). Your child must be at school, not at a day nursery or children’s centre. You must also be in receipt of one of the following:
Which children qualify for them?
Your child may qualify if you have any of these incomes:
- Income Support
- income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- the guaranteed part of Pension Credit
- Child Tax Credit (as long as your annual gross income is £16,190 or less and you don’t get Working Tax Credit)
- Working Tax Credit run-off after you come off Working Tax Credit
- Universal Credit that you applied for on, or after, 1 April 2018. As long as your household income is less than £7,400 a year after tax, not including any benefits
Children who receive these benefits themselves instead of through a parent or guardian, can also qualify for free school meals.
Your child may qualify if you are an asylum seeker.
Children who are younger than the compulsory age for starting school but in full-time education, can also get free school meals.
How long can they get free school meals for?
Children who are eligible for free school meals now will be eligible for them until either:
- they finish school; or
- if on 31 March 2022 they are still in school, until they finish the phase of schooling they are in (primary or secondary) –
whichever is sooner.
If you would like any more information regarding claiming free school meals, please call into the school office, where we will be happy to help.
You can make a claim for free school meals by clicking on the link below:
Lunchtimes at Sacred Heart
Over the lunch break, children are constantly monitored and supported.
To help the very young children adapt to the playground environment, Year 3 children pair up with the reception children to become personal BUDDIES. The BUDDIES help to keep the children safe and happy and also help to establish the playground rules.